The date that a church was first built in Moreton Morrell is unknown, but as it is stated in the Domesday Book of 1086 that there was a priest in Mortone, it is possible that there may have been a church in Anglo-Saxon times, particularly since the manor was well established in Edward the Confessor’s reign. The Domesday entry mentions that the Count de Meulan was Lord of the Manor and that a priest, 18 bondsmen, 20 villains and 1border lived in the manor, which comprised some 700 acres.
The present church dates mainly from the 13th century, but it is probable that the nave, with its three-foot thick walls, is of the 12th century. The Church has had repeated alterations throughout the centuries, an example of which is the semi-circular head of a small window which can be found in the north wall of the tower but which may have originally come from the west wall of the nave. In addition to this, traces of other early work can be found as follows:
13th Century – capitals and bases of the chancel arch; piscina in the south wall of the nave; buttresses to the south wall of the nave; base of the tower.
14th Century – east window, and eastern window in the south wall of the chancel; north window of the nave; north doorway to the nave, although the semi-circular anterior arch of the doorway is most probably of earlier date.
15th Century – west window in the south wall of the chancel; eastern window in the south wall of the nave; west window in the tower; angle buttresses to the east of the chancel and the nave.