According to a book written by Mrs Dorothy Noden in 1978 on the History of Chesterton and Kingston Warwickshire it is stated :
The church was founded by Richard the Forester in the 11th century. In Richard II’s time it was presented to the Barons of Kenilworth by William Croc. Later on, it came under the Abbots of Worcester, but in 1693 was under the Cathedral Church of Lichfield which is about 46 miles from Chesterton.
The church is built of limestone and Northampton stone in the perpendicular style. The walls are three feet thick and have been buttressed up externally. The square tower was built of old material in the 17th century. The crenellated parapet which runs the length of the Chancel was added by the Peyto family who were military men. The three bells dated early 1700’s were restored in 2009. Above the porch door is a sundial with a saying inscribed in the stone.
See and be gone about your business
There is also a round scratch stone that was recently found below ground on the front porch.
There is a new stained glass window showing St Giles with the hind. The window is in memory of a local farmer Charles Warhurst, below is a brass plaque in memory of his wife Mrs Hilda Warhurst who was the organist in the church for 40 years. The stained glass window over the altar was installed in 1862.
The wooden screen between the Chancel and Nave was installed in 1926 by a local craftsman who carved his own mark with a caterpillar crawling along the vine.